Translate

Friday, July 5, 2013

2-Week Milestone

I am now officially 2 weeks and 2 days post-op, and I honestly can't believe how good I feel.  I had my 2-week check-up with Doc on Wednesday, July 3, and it went extremely well.  I am finally off crutches (only using them if I get sore/tired), got the stitches removed, got the OK to get in the pool, and got rid of those nasty compression stockings that make me look like a 75 year-old diabetic.  Needless to say, Wednesday was a good day.

Now that I am back to walking, I still have to take it pretty slow.  My quads/hams haven't been used much in 2 weeks, so they feel super weak, and it takes awhile for them to get warmed up and to feel good walking.  There is also a little bit of pain in the anterior hip region if I take a long stride with my good leg, which stretches out that area a little more than I would like at this point.  So I am just making sure to take small strides, working my muscles back to normal.

I was talking to my wife yesterday, and it honestly feels like it's been a month (at least) since my surgery...can't believe how good I feel for being 16 days out.  I'm even getting back to some weight training.  I'm doing upper-body only obviously, and I am limited to machines (which I have always hated...I am now "That Guy" that just does upper-body stuff on machines...it sucks).

At least life is beginning to feel normal again.

Hope you had a good 4th of July!  The wife and I are headed to Des Moines this weekend to hang out with some college friends and finish off a keg that we had left over from our wedding...good times!

Cheers!

-Derek

2 comments:

  1. I just read this whole BLOG, thank you so much for making this.

    I'm in a similar position to where you were pre-surgery and haven't been able to find anything from anyone near my age group that's actually active. This has been so enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear Jeremy! That's the main reason I'm doing this...I know more and more young athletic people will be in this same situation, and like you, I couldn't find many resources, so I figured I'd be one. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete