Translate

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Fun Stuff

Alright, it's time to ditch the technical talk, and get down to the interesting stuff.

1. FOOD

I am normally a pretty healthy eater, at least I would like to think that.  I am vegetarian, and eat vegan meals around 80% of the time, and always try and get it my veggies/greens.  Except for right now.  Immediately after the operation, I had a serious craving for a burrito...not just any burrito, a burrito from a place called Abelardo's.  It's authentic mexican drive-thru, and it's open 24 hours.  Hell. Yes.  Unfortunately, the nurse talked me into just toast with PB&J, which I am always cool with.

Even now, 1 full week after the surgery, I have no desire for the usual healthy meals that I eat.  We have soda in the fridge for the first time in at least 2 years (in my defense, Sprite feels good when you don't). We made brownies from a boxm (I ate 3/4 of the batch).  I just have these cravings and desires for junk food!  It's super weird.

I think I am slowly transitioning back to my normal way of eating...last night we had a huge salad with mexican rice, refried beans, and sauteed veggies.  It hit the spot.

2. BM's

Nope, I'm not talking about bloody mary's (although that sounds reeeeally good).  It's the good 'ol Bowel Movement.

Now, I knew going in that with all of the anesthesia, pain pills, antibiotics, etc. that I would be a little constipated...boy did I underestimate that.  I went 5 full days without having a BM.  Yes, 5.  I even had been taking a stool softener for 3 of those days, with no luck.  So, I made an executive decision.  I had the wife buy me an enema.

I guess you could call it "payback" for the times I have (and will have to) buy tampons when I go to the store...but she was a sport and didn't even complain.  She just asked what kind, and she was off! (By the way, having a support team like I have had with my mother and wife makes a HUGE difference in your outlook and spirits through the process...they have been amazing, and I couldn't ask for a better family).

Back to the enema...it was a saline solution enema.  Not fun.  Being that we have only been married for 1 month, I didn't want to put my wife in the position of "Enema Applicator," so I did it myself..which was a task.  Within 3-5 minutes, I was on the toilet.  It wasn't quite the "relief" I was anticipating, but anything helped at that point.

Now, 3 days later, I am back to having regular BM's now that I am not taking as much medication, I am up and moving more, and the anesthesia has fully worn off.

So, in closing, I highly recommend a quality support team with you, and saline enemas!  Trust me...as uncomfortable as they sound (and they are), it's worth it.

See...I told you we'd talk about poop.

Cheers,

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment